Search This Blog

Friday, May 10, 2013

STAIRSCASES PART 1


The next step on the directions call for the staircases.  I was kind of surprised to find them next.  This will be a totally different kind of construction.  It will be a more intricate miniature construction.  So that’s good to jump right in to. 


I made a trip to Home Depot to pick up my supplies.  I will be staining with minwax and a picked a maple shade.  I also grabbed some brushes, a sanding block and some wood glue.  My husband had a nice surprise when I got home!  He got me a fancy X-actto knife set.   I also remembered we had a Dremel toolkit in the garage!  This will be awesome to have for this project.  It will work great for sanding the staircases.
 The first step was to locate the correct pieces and then punch them out.  I got to use one my new xacto knives ! 
 
 Then the sanding process. Here I am using the sanding block. 
 
 
All done sanding.
 
 
 
Then it was on to staining. 
 
 
 
I picked the Maple color because I thought about the type of wood that would be used in the Pacific Northwest at the turn of the last century.  We certainly have a lot of Maple wood in that area and I like the red/ golden tint it has. 
 
Here is the finished product.
 
 I still have more construction and woodworking to do on the staircases.   My next post will be the actual stairs and risers and possibly the banisters.  Stay tuned!

1 comment: